Monday, March 9, 2015

My Mantra

Don't Clean Your Desk.
I've embraced this mantra, unknowingly, for just about my whole life. When I've tried to clean, I always get distracted, or find that I can't throw things away because somehow I know I'll need to use them in a project in the future. But, in the midst of design projects, cleaning my desk would just take away time from working on the project itself – not that searching for things I can't find doesn't.



Taken from Bruce Mau's An Incomplete Manifesto For Growth

Bruce Mau is a Canadian designer and, from 1985 – 2010, was the creative director of Bruce Mau Designs. He is also the founder of Institute Without Boundaries, a nine-month extensive graduate program through the School of Design at George Brown College in Toronto. Though he started out as a designer, Mau moved on towards architecture, art, film, and other forms of media. He has worked in various capacities at a number of universities in the United States. He completed his Incomplete Manifesto For Growth in 1998 as a method to help designers think through their creative process.

No comments:

Post a Comment